Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sunday, January 17, 2010: North Adams to JFK

Sunday, January 17, 2010
Today was frenetic. The day did not go as planned, but I am not sure how it could have. Kimball’s call that we were leaving on Monday rather than Tuesday threw my preparations for traveling to Haiti into hyper-drive. The boilers were down in the parish center this morning. Al had them up and running fairly quickly, but by 9:00 it was still only 55 degrees in some of the classrooms—too cold for little kids to sit through an hour’s class, even with coats on. That meant also canceling the evening session since there’s generally a fair amount of confusion when we try to hold one session but not the other; and with the prediction of four to six inches of late-day snowfall, it just made sense. Either way, it was a blessing for me since I had before taking the late train to NYC.
Jennifer drove me to the Amtrak station in Rensselaer to catch my train. We had a sandwich at the café and she headed home since the snow was already falling heavily. For once, Amtrak was on time. I made a few phone calls and read the Times. Having taken this route before, I easily made the connections to the LIRR and out to Jamaica to switch to the AirTran. I arrived at JFK, and set up camp in Terminal 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment